Have you achieved some incredible health goals this year? Are you someone who says, “I’ll just start next year, let’s go all out over Christmas and work it off in the new year. The classic “new year, new me”. A lot of people are probably feeling a little bit anxious about it all, but there are several ways to tackle this festive season and stick to your health goals in the process.
It does not need to be an ‘all or nothing’ approach. Think of it like taking out a loan. You take money out that you must then pay back later. It is the same with our health goals. So, if you go into December with the mindset that you don’t care and just over indulged – guess what? You are still going to work twice as hard, for twice as long later down the track. Just like paying interest on a loan. So if we change our thought process to just maintaining our healthy habits over Christmas, we can then level up in January.
Here are some strategies that can help you this festive season:
1. Hydration – it is so important to make sure that you are giving your body the hydration that it needs. We need to be drinking a minimum of 2-3L of water a day. This is going to help with the few drinks of alcohol you may have had the night before or perhaps the unbalanced meals you are having here and there.
2. Try not to sit near the food – We know that massive cheese platters and all the other amazing food becomes incredibly irresistible. So instead, try sitting away from the food and that way you will not be in arms reach of it and won’t be constantly picking at it.
3. Don’t leave the house hungry – the moment that first platter comes out and if you are hungry, you are going to want to devour it before even having your first meal. The thing that is going to bring us undone is over consumption. This is when we are eating more than we are burning, and is how the extra kilos are going to add up.
4. Eat mindfully – sit down and eat slowly until you are about 80% full. We know it takes about 20 minutes to feel full. Remind ourselves that is not your last meal – so if you do get hungry later, it is okay, because you can just grab something to eat then.
5. Listen to your body – listen to your hunger cues. If it’s not a mealtime then just have something small without overeating. Don’t let yourself get to the stage where you are uber hungry and then eat everything in the house and blow out your calories for the day.
** Hey a little something to keep in mind, if your nose starts running at the feasting table – You are full! This is just one of the ways our bodies tells us “that’s enough now, that all I need”
6. Plan ahead – We are going to be diving deep into this in our nutrition program with our girls this Christmas season. We will be focusing on learning to plan so that you don’t miss out on the little things but will also allow you to enjoy the festive season.
If you want to come back into 2021 feeling like you are in control, then these are the steps for you. Be on the front foot and ready to kick your goals for the rest of this year, heading straight into the next.
You can 100% maintain your healthy lifestyle, whilst enjoying the festive season. If you feel like you could use some support with doing so, we are here to help you with just that so don’t be afraid to reach out and break that cycle of feeling like your starting back at level zero every January.